There are two basic steps that should go into every skin care routine, no matter how old you are. They are to cleanse and to moisturize. You will want to find a cleanser that is gentle for your skin while still helping to remove oil, dirt, makeup, etc. A good moisturizer acts as a barrier between your skin and the environmental things that can harm it.
Many people find it beneficial to add a third step to their basic routine, called “toning.” There are many toners out there, all with different goals. This step generally goes between cleansing and moisturizing.
To suit your specific needs, there are many products on the market that can be incorporated into your skin care routine. There are products out there aimed at oily, dry, or combination skin. Rather than just blindly pick and choose, it is a good idea to consult a professional to help you determine the products that will benefit your skin the most. You do not want to start too many things at one time, as this can damage the skin and make it difficult to tell what is working and what is not.
Benefits of a Skin Care Routine
Finding a good skin care routine has many benefits. Some of the top ones include:
- It can slow down the signs of aging
- Once it is established, it is easier to maintain
- It boosts confidence – when you look good, you feel good
- It keeps the skin healthy, which in turn keeps you healthier
- Results can be dramatic if you stick with it
- Taking care of your skin now can save you money down the road
- It can encourage you to adopt other healthy routines and an overall healthy lifestyle